According to a new survey conducted by Pooch Snax, a natural “pig ear-shaped” dog chew brand, Brits are giving their dogs dangerous things to chew. It was revealed that 1 in 5 dog owners also let their dogs chew on everyday objects, which result in trips to the vet.
It was also found that nearly all dog owners (97%) believe they know what treats are safe, whereas nearly a quarter (23%) admitted to treating their dog to cooked beef bones and cooked chicken bones (18%), which are both considered serious choking hazards.
While nearly a third of dog owners (31%) said they choose natural meat treats for their dogs “most of the time” and that they believed were safe to chew (69%), the survey also exposed that nearly 1 in 4 (23%) regularly treat their dog to rawhide – a product that reportedly causes choking if eaten in large chunks or swallowed whole.
The results also showed that, in addition to giving potentially unsafe treats to our dogs, they are also chewing on unsafe household objects. Over a third of Brits (36%) revealed their dog has chewed on slippers or shoes and 1 in 4 (25%) said their dogs have chewed on kid’s toys.
Chewing household objects also has consequences, the survey discovered. Over 1 in 4 (27%) dog owners said that this caused their dog to be sick, with 1 in 5 (20%) also admitting, chewing on everyday objects resulted in a trip to the vets.
Rory the Vet (Rory Cowlam), vet on CBBC’s ‘The Pets Factor’, said: “As a dog owner, as well as a vet, I know how important it is to treat your pet to build that amazing bond, but as these shocking results show, a large proportion of people are still feeding dangerous treats to their dogs!
“Dog owners need to stop feeding cooked bones – particularly chicken as these will often splinter and become very sharp leading to a risk of gut perforation and very serious issues. I generally avoid rawhide, too – it’s really tricky to digest and can cause both gut and tooth issues.”
A spokesperson for Pooch Snax added: “Treats, as part of an overall nutritious diet are a great way to bond with your dog. They can help to keep teeth and gums healthy and provide a way to express normal chewing behaviour. However, it’s important that we give our dogs the right kind of treats to avoid unnecessary chewcastrophes.
“It’s why we are proud to launch our new natural and safe dog treat – Porky Ears – that brings something a bit different to the dog treat market. Shaped like ears and produced from 100% British pork, Porky Ears are a natural, healthy and easily digestible treat for your dog to enjoy. Full of protein, they also act as a toothbrush.”